The Penquis Housing Counseling team announce the offering of rental counseling services for Eastern Maine. We and other service providers are deeply concerned there may be significant evictions starting in August and beyond once the courts open up, moratoriums are lifted and certain relief funds, including unemployment, end. We are on weekly calls with other CAP agencies, Pine Tree Legal and the Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection (BCCP) to monitor the situation.
Our rental counseling services will include:
-Understanding tenants’ rights and responsibilities and good rental practices
– Understanding rental leases and deposit requirements
– Maintaining a good relationship with landlords and resolving tenant-landlord disputes
– Budgeting and credit skills of tenants and assisting in the creation and negotiation of payment plans
– Navigating the formal eviction process in the courts
– Resolving Fair Housing issues related to possible discrimination
Check out our new webpage for rental counseling and to contact the team if you have any further questions or if you would like us to speak to your team about this and other housing counseling services.