We at MaineStream Finance, a 20-year old, mission-driven nonprofit community development lender and part of the Penquis CAP family, are open for business to help your Maine business. We are staying in touch with officials at the Maine Department of Economic Development (DECD), Finance Authority of Maine (FAME), and Small Business Administration (SBA) as well as local officials in towns and cities and your local chambers of commerce. Below are resources and contacts for you to get through this difficult time. When there is an update or new resources available, we will update it here.
Here are our top links to News and Tools for Small Business Topics. We have much, much more below on business news, banking & loans, donations, employment law/HR, local chambers and town responses, disaster recovery, taxes, industry-specific resources (e.g. farming), and work from home tools.
State of the Economy – General Stats
- Small Business Pulse Survey – US Census Bureau (May 14)
- State of Small Business Survey – Veem (issued mid-May)
- Re-starting Maine’s Economy survey-May 13 and addendum – Maine Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives (MACCE)
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Small Businesses (May 26, Main Street America)
- New: USDA Corona Virus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) – opens May 26 – application materials, guidance, criteria
- SBA Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources for .PPP and EIDL programs (as of May 15 PPP funds are still available – EIDL funds are only available agri-related businesses.)
- New: PPP Forgiveness Application (May 15)
- Maine Department of Labor – Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Page for the self-employed (Opens Friday, May 1)
- Maine Pay It Forward– Support Maine Businesses – Help those in need (gift certs, etc.)
- Experience Maine Made – 20% of profits when you buy Maine Made products go to Maine Tourism Fund
- These are the types of businesses reopening in Maine today (June 1, BDN)
- Adventure Local Maine – helping Mainers to discover other parts of Maine this summer
- HOSPITALITYMAINE COVID-19 RESTAURANT READINESS COURSE (EMCC) – certification
- Back to Business Maine toolkit – Portland Chamber (issued May 22)
- Fortune Rebuild Program (webinars with experts throughout the summer) – How to Reopen Resources
- Maine Street Forward – A Roadmap to Recovery
- Governor Mills Presents Safe, Gradual Plan to Restart Maine’s Economy (official – Apr 28 – starts May 1)
Upcoming Virtual Events – June-July
- Maine International Trade Center (MITC) webinar – Trade Credit Programs: Tools to Minimize Financial Risks and Improve Cash Flow-June 2
- PPP: How to qualify for loan forgiveness – MaineBiz – SBA – June 4
- Family Business: Trends, Surveys, and Current Realities – Institute for Family-Owned Business (IFOB) – June 2
- MEREDA Virtual Event: A Discussion of the 2019 MEREDA Index and a Review of Current Conditions [in Real Estate]- June 4
- Pivot Your Strategy: Generate Ideas for New Product/Service Opportunities (UpStart Center) – June 9
- State of Maine – Lockdown to Lobsters – Portland Chamber and People’s United – June 11
- Business 101 for startups – MaineStream – June 12
- Introduction to Self Employment – New Ventures Maine – June 18
- MEREDA Virtual Event – Legal and Practical Implications of Safely Operating Commercial and Residential Properties in the time of COVID 19 – June 19
- Turning your Hobby into a Business – MaineStream – June 22 and 23
Thinking about starting a business? Need to pivot? Need to stay up on the latest info? Check out these regular workshops and webinars.
- For information on MaineStream business workshops, Business 101 for start-ups and Turning your Hobby into a Business, click here. in May, June and July.
- Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce (BRCC) – weekly updates on legal issues, new legislation, re-opening, etc – usually Monday afternoons.
- Eastern Maine Development Corporation (EMDC) webinars on government contracting and workforce training
- Entrepreneur Magazine Webinars – topics like eBay, cashflow, crisis mgmt, WFH,
- Fast Forward Maine workshops, podcasts, and webinars on topics such as marketing, HR, etc.
- Island Institute Commercial Current – Business in Uncertain Times Podcast Series (pre-recorded – 7 Episodes – Boating, Restaurants, Arts, Fisheries, Food Retail, Breweries)
- Maine Center for Coastal Fisheries talks – Lunch & Learn Summer Series – once a month – end of month
- Maine Chamber of Commerce webinars on legislation and topics for different industries
- Maine Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) weekly updates – typically at 3:30 PM on Wednesdays – email Business Answers to get on the list – email@example.com
- Maine Development Foundation informational webinars (Maine Downtown Center, etc)
- Maine SBDC has weekly online sessions for general Q&A and specific topics.
- New Ventures Maine has several upcoming workshops through the summer on starting and growing a business, money management and building your career.
- PenBay Regional Chamber of Commerce (Camden-Rockland) has regular events and updates for the Mid-Coast.
- Portland Chamber of Commerce – weekly webinars on Legal/HR, Policy (Eggs and Issues)
- SCORE Portland has many on-going workshops.
- ServSafe FREE FOOD SAFETY AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT TRAINING AND RESOURCES (during COVID-19)
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension Daily Farmer Conversations/Farmer to Farmer Conversations