If you would like a Penquis Housing Counselor to contact you about home-buying, mortgage issues/foreclosure, or rental issues/eviction, please fill out this quick contact form. For registering for Penquis’ online home-buying classes – self-paced and live streaming, click here.
We at MaineStream Finance, a 20-year old, mission-driven nonprofit community development lender and part of the Penquis CAP family, are open to serve you. A lot is happening around housing during the crisis, and mortgage payments and rent payments are due soon. We are in regular touch with HUD, Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection (BCCP), MaineHousing, Pine Tree Legal, and local lenders about new developments. Our team of housing counselors and home lenders are available to help you through this time. We’ll keep you updated here on the latest local, State, and Federal actions related to housing here.
Here are our Top resources below. Further down the page, we have much more information, news, and resources on housing topics such as homelessness, legal issues for homeowners, landlords & tenants, mortgage loans, public housing, and rental issues.
Mortgages / Forbearances / Deferrals
- Mortgage and housing assistance during the coronavirus national emergency – CFPB – HUD – FHFA (FNMA and Freddie Mac)
- FHA/HUD and FHFA (Fannie, Freddie) have extended foreclosure and eviction moratorium to Aug 31.
- Mortgage Forbearance vs. Loan Modification: Which Is Right for You During the Coronavirus Pandemic? (Lending Tree, 4/30/20)
- Forbes Mortgage Relief Tracker: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Relief For Homeowners (mostly large national and regional banks)
- US Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) Protections for Renters
- Eviction Lab – Housing Policy Scorecard
- State of Maine: There is a lot to unpack from Governor Mills Executive Orders and letters to Protect Housing for Maine People:
- Evictions are not allowed explicitly in Maine now – official Executive Order on Evictions.
- A new rental assistance program for $5 million between Maine Housing and 10 Community Action Agencies, including MaineStream’s parent, Penquis, has begun
- UPDATE: Governor Mills & MaineHousing Extend Rent Relief Program (June 4)
- What you need to know about paying your June rent or mortgage – Washington Post, May 31
- US Housing and Urban Development (HUD) COVID-19 (“CORONAVIRUS”) INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- MaineHousing COVID-19 Updates
- NLIHC CARES Act/Federal Stimulus Summary on Housing Funding– CARES Act/Federal Stimulus